Organic Farming Principles (Leitrim – October)
October 10, 2023
Drumshanbo Enterprise Centre
NOTE: This course is now SOLD OUT. We have another session in Cavan in October – see more HERE.
Learn what’s involved in converting to organic farming with this 4-day / 50-hour course in Organic Farming Principles. Taught by Andrew Chilton, the practical organic course is QQI Level 5 certified, and is accepted to gain access onto the Organic Farming Scheme.
The course will run in the Drumshanbo Enterprise Centre, Drumshanbo, Co. Leitrim across four Tuesdays, October 10th, 17th, 24th & 31st. The first three days will be evening sessions, with the final day running from 9.00am to 4.30pm including a farm walk, and examination.
Please note, places are limited, so sign up ASAP to confirm your place.
Course Cost: €200 when you sign up through NOTS
- Tuesday October 10th (Classroom Session 5.00pm – 9:30pm)
- Tuesday October 17th (Classroom Session 5.00pm – 9:30pm)
- Tuesday October 24th (Classroom Session 5.00pm – 9:30pm)
- Tuesday October 31st (Classroom Sessions + Organic Farm Visit + Examination – 9.00am — 4.30pm)
Course Content / Modules:
- Review the origin and history of organic production
- State the principles of organic production
- Interpret the Organic Standards
- How to complete an organic conversion plan
- Assess the economic viability and market opportunities for organic production
- Preparing a business plan for farmers considering conversion
- Background to organic production
- Principles of organic production
- Organic Standards
- Economics of organic production
- Organic Scheme requirements