Organic Farming Principles (Cavan – October)
October 11, 2023
Learn what’s involved in converting to organic farming with this 4-day / 50-hour course in Organic Farming Principles. Taught by Andrew Chilton, the practical organic course is QQI Level 5 certified, and is accepted to gain access onto the Organic Farming Scheme.
The course will run in the Hotel Kilmore, Cavan across four Wednesdays, October 11th, 18th, 25th & November 1st. The first three days will be evening sessions, with the final day running from 9.00am to 4.30pm including a farm walk, and examination.
Please note, places are limited, so sign up ASAP to confirm your place.
Course Cost: €200 when you sign up through NOTS
- Wednesday October 11th (Classroom Session 5.00pm – 9:30pm)
- Wednesday October 18th (Classroom Session 5.00pm – 9:30pm)
- Wednesday October 25th (Classroom Session 5.00pm – 9:30pm)
- Wednesday November 1st (Classroom Sessions + Organic Farm Visit + Examination – 9.00am — 4.30pm)
Course Content / Modules:
- Review the origin and history of organic production
- State the principles of organic production
- Interpret the Organic Standards
- How to complete an organic conversion plan
- Assess the economic viability and market opportunities for organic production
- Preparing a business plan for farmers considering conversion
- Background to organic production
- Principles of organic production
- Organic Standards
- Economics of organic production
- Organic Scheme requirements