Organic Production Principles (Portlaoise – April)
April 14, 2023
Online (Fridays) & In Person (Saturdays)
Learn what’s involved in converting to organic farming with this 25-hour / 2-weekend course in Organic Production Principles. Taught by Andrew Chilton, the online / in-person hybrid organic course is QQI Level 5 certified, and is accepted to gain access onto the Organic Farming Scheme.
The course is will run online on Friday April 14th, in-person in Portlaoise on Saturday April 15th, online on Friday April 28th, and in-person in Portlaoise on Saturday April 29th. On the Saturday sessions, there will be an organic farm walk (venue TBC), followed by classroom sessions and the examination which will take place in the Maldron Hotel, Portlaoise.
Please note, places are limited, so sign up ASAP to confirm your place.
Course Cost: €200 when you sign up through NOTS
- Friday April 14th (Online Session 5.00pm – 9:30pm)
- Saturday April 15th (In-Person session, Portlaoise 9.00am —3.30pm – Farm Walk TBC + Classroom session in Maldron Hotel, Portlaoise)
Weekend 2 :
- Friday April 28th (Online Session 5.00pm – 9:30pm)
- Saturday April 29th (In-Person session, Portlaoise 9.00am —4.00pm – Farm Walk TBC + Examination in Maldron Hotel, Portlaoise)
Course Content / Modules:
- Review the origin and history of organic production
- State the principles of organic production
- Interpret the Organic Standards
- How to complete an organic conversion plan
- Assess the economic viability and market opportunities for organic production.
- Preparing a business plan for farmers considering conversion
- Background to organic production
- Principles of organic production
- Organic Standards
- Economics of organic production
- Organic Scheme requirements