Organic Production Principles (In-Person Course – April)
April 8, 2022
National Organic Training Skillnet
Learn what’s involved in converting to organic farming with this 25-hour / 2-weekend course in Organic Production Principles. Taught by Andrew Chilton, the practical organic course is QQI Level 5 certified, and is accepted to gain access onto the Organic Farming Scheme.
The course is one of the first since 2019 to take place in person, and will run in Drumshanbo, Co Leitrim across two weekends, Friday / Saturday April 8th, 9th, 22nd and 23rd.
Please note, places are limited due to COVID regulations, so sign up ASAP to confirm your place.
Course Cost: €200 when you sign up through NOTS
Course Timetable (Total: 25 hours)
- Friday 8th April 2022 (Classroom Session 5.30pm – 9:30pm)
- Saturday 9th April 2022 (Classroom Sessions + Organic Farm Visit 9.00am —4.30pm)
Weekend 2 :
- Friday 22nd of April 2022 (Classroom Session 5.30pm – 9:30pm)
- Saturday 23rd April 2022 (Classroom Sessions + Organic Farm Visit + Examination – 9.00am —5.00pm)
Course Content / Modules:
- Review the origin and history of organic production
- State the principles of organic production
- Interpret the Organic Standards
- How to complete an organic conversion plan
- Assess the economic viability and market opportunities for organic production.
- Preparing a business plan for farmers considering conversion
- Background to organic production
- Principles of organic production
- Organic Standards
- Economics of organic production
- Organic Scheme requirements