Organic Production Principles (Online / In-Person Hybrid – October)
October 7, 2022
Learn what’s involved in converting to organic farming with this 25-hour / 2-weekend course in Organic Production Principles. Taught by Andrew Chilton, the online / in-person hybrid organic course is QQI Level 5 certified, and is accepted to gain access onto the Organic Farming Scheme.
The course is will run online for the first three days (October 7th, 8th and 21st) with the final day being in person in the Longford / Cavan area on October 22nd. On the final day, there will be an organic farm walk on the farm of Gerard Fitzsimons in Ballinagh, followed by the examination which will take place in the Longford / Cavan area (Venue TBC).
Please note, places are limited, so sign up ASAP to confirm your place.
Course Cost: €200 when you sign up through NOTS
- Friday October 7th (Online Session 5.00pm – 9:30pm)
- Saturday October 8th (Online Session 9.00am —1.30pm)
Weekend 2 :
- Friday October 21strd (Online Session 5.00pm – 9:30pm)
- Saturday October 22nd (In-person Organic Farm Visit + Examination – 9.00am —4.00pm)
- Farm Visit – 9.00am on the farm of Gerard Fitzsimons (N39 XD91)
- Examination – after the farm walk – Cavan Town – Venue TBC
Course Content / Modules:
- Review the origin and history of organic production
- State the principles of organic production
- Interpret the Organic Standards
- How to complete an organic conversion plan
- Assess the economic viability and market opportunities for organic production.
- Preparing a business plan for farmers considering conversion
- Background to organic production
- Principles of organic production
- Organic Standards
- Economics of organic production
- Organic Scheme requirements