Organic Production Principles (Online / In-Person Hybrid – Portlaoise)
November 18, 2022
Online + In Person
Learn what’s involved in converting to organic farming with this 25-hour / 2-weekend course in Organic Production Principles. Taught by Andrew Chilton, the online / in-person hybrid organic course is QQI Level 5 certified, and is accepted to gain access onto the Organic Farming Scheme.
The course is will run online on Friday November 18th, in-person in Portlaoise on Saturday November 19th, online on Friday December 2nd and in-person in Portlaoise on Saturday December 3rd. On the Saturday sessoions, there will be an organic farm walk (venue TBC), followed by classroom sessions and the examination which will take place in the Maldron Hotel, Portlaoise.
Please note, places are limited, so sign up ASAP to confirm your place.
Course Cost: €200 when you sign up through NOTS
- Friday November 18th (Online Session 5.00pm – 9:30pm)
- Saturday November 19th (In-Person session, Portlaoise 9.00am —3.30pm – Farm Walk TBC + Classroom session in Maldron Hotel, Portlaoise)
Weekend 2 :
- Friday December 2nd (Online Session 5.00pm – 9:30pm)
- Saturday December 3rd (In-Person session, Portlaoise 9.00am —4.00pm – Farm Walk TBC + Examination in Maldron Hotel, Portlaoise)
Course Content / Modules:
- Review the origin and history of organic production
- State the principles of organic production
- Interpret the Organic Standards
- How to complete an organic conversion plan
- Assess the economic viability and market opportunities for organic production.
- Preparing a business plan for farmers considering conversion
- Background to organic production
- Principles of organic production
- Organic Standards
- Economics of organic production
- Organic Scheme requirements