Organic Production Principles (Hybrid – November – Donegal)
November 14, 2022
Learn what’s involved in converting to organic farming with this 25-hour / 4-day course in Organic Production Principles. Taught by Andrew Chilton, the online / in-person hybrid organic course is QQI Level 5 certified, and is accepted to gain access onto the Organic Farming Scheme.
The course is will run online for the first three days (November 14th, 15th, and 28th) with the final day being in person in Stranorlar, Co Donegal, on November 29th. On the final day, there will be an organic farm walk, followed by the examination which will take place in the Base Enterprise Centre.
Please note, places are limited, so sign up ASAP to confirm your place.
Course Cost: €200 when you sign up through NOTS
- Monday November 14th (Online Session 5.00pm — 9.30pm)
- Tuesday November 15th (Online Session 5.00pm — 9.30pm)
Week 2 :
- Monday November 28th (Online Session 5.00pm — 9.30pm)
- Tuesday November 29th (In-person Organic Farm Visit + Examination – 9.00am —4.00pm)
- Farm Visit – 9.00am – Farm location TBC
- Examination – after the farm walk – Base Enterprise Centre, Stranorlar, Co Donegal
Course Content / Modules:
- Review the origin and history of organic production
- State the principles of organic production
- Interpret the Organic Standards
- How to complete an organic conversion plan
- Assess the economic viability and market opportunities for organic production.
- Preparing a business plan for farmers considering conversion
- Background to organic production
- Principles of organic production
- Organic Standards
- Economics of organic production
- Organic Scheme requirements