Organic Farming Principles (Online / In-Person Hybrid – Donegal)
August 2, 2023
Online + In Person
Learn what’s involved in converting to organic farming with this 50-hour / 4-day course in Organic Production Principles. Taught by Andrew Chilton, the online / in-person hybrid organic course is QQI Level 5 certified, and is accepted to gain access onto the Organic Farming Scheme.
The course is will run online on three consecutive Wednesday evenings – August 2nd, 9th and 16th, and a full day in-person in Stranorlar, Co Donegal on Wednesday August 23rd. On Wednesday 23rd August session, there will be an organic farm walk (venue TBC), followed by classroom sessions and the examination which will take place in The Base Enterprise Centre, in Stranorlar.
Please note, places are limited, so sign up ASAP to confirm your place.
Course Cost: €200 when you sign up through NOTS
- Wednesday August 2nd (Live Online Session 5.00pm – 10:00pm)
- Wednesday August 9th (Live Online Session 5.00pm – 10:00pm)
- Wednesday August 16th (Live Online Session 5.00pm – 10:00pm)
- Wednesday August 23rd (In-Person session, Stranorlar, 9.00am —4.00pm – Farm Walk TBC + Examination)
Course Content / Modules:
- Review the origin and history of organic production
- State the principles of organic production
- Interpret the Organic Standards
- How to complete an organic conversion plan
- Assess the economic viability and market opportunities for organic production.
- Preparing a business plan for farmers considering conversion
- Background to organic production
- Principles of organic production
- Organic Standards
- Economics of organic production
- Organic Scheme requirements