Organic Production Principles (Sligo)
April 27, 2023
An Chroi, South Sligo Enterprise Centre
Learn what’s involved in converting to organic farming with this 25-hour / 4-day course in Organic Production Principles. Taught by legendary organic author and advisor Klaus Laitenberger, the practical organic course is QQI Level 5 certified, and is accepted to gain access onto the Organic Farming Scheme.
The course will run in An Chroi, South Sligo Enterprise Centre across four days in April and May – the first three sessions will be Thursday evenings, April 27th, May 4th and May 11th. The final day running on Monday May 22nd from 09.30am to 4.00pm including a farm walk, and examination.
Please note, places are limited, so sign up ASAP to confirm your place.
Course Cost: €200 when you sign up through NOTS
- Thursday April 27th (Classroom Session 5.00pm – 9:30pm)
- Thursday May 4th (Classroom Session 5.00pm – 9:30pm)
- Thursday May 11th (Classroom Session 5.00pm – 9:30pm)
- Monday May 22nd (Classroom Sessions + Organic Farm Visit + Examination – 10.00am — 3.00pm)
Course Content / Modules:
- Review the origin and history of organic production
- State the principles of organic production
- Interpret the Organic Standards
- How to complete an organic conversion plan
- Assess the economic viability and market opportunities for organic production.
- Preparing a business plan for farmers considering conversion
- Background to organic production
- Principles of organic production
- Organic Standards
- Economics of organic production
- Organic Scheme requirements