Organic Production Principles (Leitrim – October)
October 12, 2022
Drumshanbo Enterprise Centre
Learn what’s involved in converting to organic farming with this 25-hour / 4-day course in Organic Production Principles. Taught by Andrew Chilton, the practical organic course is QQI Level 5 certified, and is accepted to gain access onto the Organic Farming Scheme.
The course will run in the Drumshanbo Enterprise Centre, Drumshanbo, Co. Leitrim across two midweeks this coming October, Wednesday / Thursday October 12th, 13th, 26th and 27th.
Please note, places are limited, so sign up ASAP to confirm your place.
Course Cost: €200 when you sign up through NOTS
- Wednesday October 12th (Classroom Session 5.00pm – 9:30pm)
- Thursday October 13th (Classroom Session 5.00pm – 9:30pm)
Weekend 2 :
- Wednesday October 26th (Classroom Session 5.00pm – 9:30pm)
- Thursday October 27th (Classroom Sessions + Organic Farm Visit + Examination – 9.00am —4.00pm)
Course Content / Modules:
- Review the origin and history of organic production
- State the principles of organic production
- Interpret the Organic Standards
- How to complete an organic conversion plan
- Assess the economic viability and market opportunities for organic production.
- Preparing a business plan for farmers considering conversion
- Background to organic production
- Principles of organic production
- Organic Standards
- Economics of organic production
- Organic Scheme requirements