Organic Production Principles (Leitrim – May)
May 2, 2023
Drumshanbo Enterprise Centre
Please note: This course is now SOLD OUT. We have multiple other sessions of this course available throughout the year. Click HERE for our full course list.
Learn what’s involved in converting to organic farming with this 25-hour / 4-day course in Organic Production Principles. Taught by Andrew Chilton, the practical organic course is QQI Level 5 certified, and is accepted to gain access onto the Organic Farming Scheme.
The course will run in the Drumshanbo Enterprise Centre, Drumshanbo, Co. Leitrim across four consecutive Tuesdays, May 2nd, 9th, 16th & 23rd. The first three days will be evening sessions, with the final day running from 10.00am to 3.00pm including a farm walk, and examination.
Please note, places are limited, so sign up ASAP to confirm your place.
Course Cost: €200 when you sign up through NOTS
- Tuesday May 2nd (Classroom Session 5.00pm – 9:30pm)
- Tuesday May 9th (Classroom Session 5.00pm – 9:30pm)
- Tuesday May 16th (Classroom Session 5.00pm – 9:30pm)
- Tuesday May 23rd (Classroom Sessions + Organic Farm Visit + Examination – 10.00am — 3.00pm)
Course Content / Modules:
- Review the origin and history of organic production
- State the principles of organic production
- Interpret the Organic Standards
- How to complete an organic conversion plan
- Assess the economic viability and market opportunities for organic production.
- Preparing a business plan for farmers considering conversion
- Background to organic production
- Principles of organic production
- Organic Standards
- Economics of organic production
- Organic Scheme requirements