Organic Farming Principles (Leitrim – August / September)
August 29, 2023
Drumshanbo Enterprise Centre
Learn what’s involved in converting to organic farming with this 25-hour / 4-day course in Organic Production Principles. Taught by Andrew Chilton, the practical organic course is QQI Level 5 certified, and is accepted to gain access onto the Organic Farming Scheme.
The course will run in the Drumshanbo Enterprise Centre, Drumshanbo, Co. Leitrim across four Tuesdays, August 29th, September 5th, 12th and 26th. The first three days will be evening sessions, with the final day running from 9.00am to 4.30pm including a farm walk, and examination.
Please note, places are limited, so sign up ASAP to confirm your place.
Course Cost: €200 when you sign up through NOTS
- Tuesday August 29th (Classroom Session 5.00pm – 10:00pm)
- Tuesday September 5th (Classroom Session 5.00pm – 10:00pm)
- Tuesday September 12th (Classroom Session 5.00pm – 10:00pm)
- Tuesday September 26th (Classroom Sessions + Organic Farm Visit + Examination – 9.00am — 4.30pm)
Course Content / Modules:
- Review the origin and history of organic production
- State the principles of organic production
- Interpret the Organic Standards
- How to complete an organic conversion plan
- Assess the economic viability and market opportunities for organic production.
- Preparing a business plan for farmers considering conversion
- Background to organic production
- Principles of organic production
- Organic Standards
- Economics of organic production
- Organic Scheme requirements