Organic Farming Principles (Mayo – September)
September 5, 2023
The Glen Keen Estate & Glen Keen Farm
Learn what’s involved in converting to organic farming with this 4-day course in Organic Farming Principles. Taught by Eveline Gill, the practical organic course is QQI Level 5 certified, and is accepted to gain access onto the Organic Farming Scheme.
The course will run on Glen Keen Farm, near Louisburgh, Co Mayo, across two midweeks in September: Tuesday September 5th, Wednesday September 6th, Tuesday September 26th, and Wednesday September 27th.
Please note, places are limited, so sign up ASAP to confirm your place.
Course Cost: €200 when you sign up through NOTS
- Tuesday September 5th (Classroom Session 5.00pm – 9:30pm)
- Wednesday September 5th (Classroom Session + Organic Farm Visit – 9.00am – 4.00pm)
- Tuesday September 26th (Classroom Session 5.00pm – 9:30pm)
- Wednesday September 27th (Classroom Sessions + Organic Farm Visit + Examination – 9.00am — 4.00pm)
Course Content / Modules:
- Review the origin and history of organic production
- State the principles of organic production
- Interpret the Organic Standards
- How to complete an organic conversion plan
- Assess the economic viability and market opportunities for organic production.
- Preparing a business plan for farmers considering conversion
- Background to organic production
- Principles of organic production
- Organic Standards
- Economics of organic production
- Organic Scheme requirements