Intro to Seed Saving with Madeline McKeever (Ballymaloe)
August 22, 2023
Ballymaloe Cookery School, Organic Farm and Gardens
NOTS are thrilled to partner with Ballymaloe Cookery School, Organic Farm and Gardens to provide an exciting 1-day “Introduction to Seed Saving” course with Madeline McKeever of Brown Envelope Seeds.
Join us for an intensive and hands on day of how and why saving seed is important. Led by Madeline McKeever of Brown Envelope Seeds, the course will be delivered in two great locations – the garden room at the Cookery School and the Farm’s main glasshouse in which an array of fruit, herbs and vegetables are grown organically each season.
Lunch at the world famous Ballymaloe Cookery School will ensure you’re all set for a great day of hands on learning and seed saving.
- DATE: Tuesday August 22nd, 2023
- TIMES: 9.30am to 5.00pm
- VENUE: Ballymaloe Cookery School, Organic Farm and Gardens, Shanagarry, Co Cork
- COST: Just €100 when you sign up through NOTS – more than 30% reduction on full course price
- PARTICIPANTS: Limited (Sign up ASAP to confirm your place)
Course Elements / Breakdown:
- A tour of the organic farm, gardens, dairy and greenhouses, which provide much of the seasonal produce you’ll enjoy at lunch and see at the farm shop
- A discussion on seed security and sovereignty
- Practical demonstration of how to save a variety of seeds
- Opportunities to put theory into practice and save seeds yourself to take home
- 9.30am Welcome, Meet and Greet, Introductions, Tea and Coffee
- 10.00am -11.00am Morning session: The origin of cultivated plants, Vavilov’s centres of origin. Seed sovereignty and security.
- 11.00am – Break
- 11.30am-1.00pm The biology of seed saving, how plants are pollinated and seeds are produced.
- 1pm – Lunch at Ballymaloe Cookery School
- 2.00pm -4.00pm – Important families for seed saving and practical demonstration of seed cleaning and drying and storage.
- 4.00pm to finish – Farm Walk and Guided Garden Tour
Sign up ASAP below – please note course places are limited so sign up ASAP to confirm your place. Any questions, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.