Protecting Farmland Pollinators & Improving Biodiversity
October 24, 2023
Ballymaloe Cookery School, Organic Farm and Gardens
Join us for an in-depth 1-day course on Protecting Farmland Pollinators & Improving Biodiversity at Ballymaloe Cookery School, Organic Farm and Gardens with three top experts in the field.
This course will give practical advice on how everyone can improve biodiversity whether they are farmers or non-farmers. It will outline the main drivers in biodiversity loss but also give solutions to halt the decline. The course will be led by three subject-matter experts; Dr. Una Fitzpatrick (National Biodiversity Data Centre), Dr. Saorla Kavanagh (All Ireland Pollinator Plan) & Donal Sheehan (Bride Project).
Lunch at the world famous Ballymaloe Cookery School will ensure you’re all set for a great day of learning.
- DATE: Tuesday October 24th, 2023
- TIMES: 9.30am to 5.00pm
- VENUE: Ballymaloe Cookery School, Organic Farm and Gardens, Shanagarry, Co Cork
- COST: Just €100 when you sign up through NOTS – more than 30% reduction on full course price
- PARTICIPANTS: Limited (Sign up ASAP to confirm your place)
Please note – to qualify for the NOTS rate, you must be a) resident in Ireland; and b) employed in any sector (either full-time or part-time). If you are not currently in employment – please sign up directly through Ballymaloe Cookery School.
Course Elements / Breakdown:
- An understanding of the different pollinator groups in Ireland and why it is important to protect them
- An understanding of the causes and solutions to the biodiversity crisis.
- An understanding of how to engage with the All Ireland Pollinator Plan and citizen science
- How to score your farm/land for pollinators using the Protecting Farmland Pollinator Scorecard
- How to identify different species and know the good biodiversity indicators
- How to take an innovative community-based approach to environmental management
- How a results-based payment scheme where farmers have each habitat on their farm assessed and scored, with higher quality habitats gaining higher payments works
Sign up ASAP below – please note course places are limited so sign up ASAP to confirm your place. Any questions, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.