Growing Healthy Vegetables in Healthy Soil
November 16, 2023
Ballymaloe Cookery School, Organic Farm and Gardens
Join legendary organic veg grower and author Klaus Laitenberger at Ballymaloe Cookery School, Organic Farm and Gardens for a full-day course on growing healthy vegetables in healthy soil this November.
We are passionate about soil health and know that the nutritional quality of the food we produce is wholly dependent on the quality of the soil in which it grows. The degradation of soil across the globe is of serious concern and as a major contributor to our climate and health crises we need to take immediate action and improve soil fertility.
Delivered by soil expert and renowned educator Klaus Laitenberger, inspector for the Organic Trust as well as project lead on a number of exciting new garden projects and author of four gardening books, this course is structured for anyone who plans to start a food garden.
This course will outline the importance of soil fertility. Reasons for soil degradation worldwide; soil erosion/compaction and how every soil can be improved with compost and other bulky soil fertility inputs as well as green manures.
- DATE: Thursday November 16th, 2023
- TIMES: 10.00am to 16.30pm
- VENUE: Ballymaloe Cookery School, Organic Farm and Gardens, Shanagarry, Co Cork
- COST: Just €100 when you sign up through NOTS – more than 30% reduction on full course price
- PARTICIPANTS: Limited (Sign up ASAP to confirm your place)
Please note – to qualify for the NOTS rate, you must be a) resident in Ireland; and b) employed in any sector (either full-time or part-time). If you are not currently in employment – please sign up directly through Ballymaloe Cookery School.
Course Elements / Breakdown:
- What You’ll Learn:
- Learn the reasons for soil degradation and its effect on food security and quality
- Practical experience on how to make a soil fertile and grow healthy vegetables
- How to prepare soil, make compost, sow seeds, grow in polytunnels and avoid pests and diseases
- Crop planning and rotations
- Indoor and Outdoor Classroom Learning
- A tour of the organic farm, gardens and greenhouses
- Two practical sessions on compost making and practical ground preparation
- Q&A sessions throughout the day as we review each session and put theory into practice
- What You’ll Learn:
Sign up below – please note course places are limited so sign up ASAP to confirm your place. Any questions, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.