NOTS, in conjunction with Riot Rye Bakehouse & Bread School are running a 1 day Sourdough Bread Making Level 1 Course on March 24th 2020.
Julie Lockett and Joe Fitzmaurice of Riot Rye will be delivering a course which is a thorough and fundamental introduction to sourdough baking. The course is suitable for beginners as well as people who have some experience baking sourdough bread.
Course Topics / Learning Outcomes:
- How to make flavoursome and highly nutritious wheat and rye sourdough breads
- How to start and maintain a rye sourdough starter
- How to manage the fermentation and flavour of your doughs
- How to blend flours to create different flavours in your breads
- How to maximise the nutritional benefits and digestability of sourdough breads
You will also bring home with you a selection of breads you have baked yourself, fresh sourdough starter and the confidence to bake real bread at home!
One of the key features to this course is that the group will be small. They’re only 8 places available on this course. If you are keen in registering this course, we would recommend that you register quickly. Places will sell out fast! Places on this 1 day course will be served as first come – first served.
Course Date: Tuesday March 24th, 2020
Course Times: 11am-6pm
Course Cost: €80 if you book through NOTS (Full course price is €125 for non-NOTS Members)
Course Venue: Riot Rye Bakehouse & Bread School, Cloughjordan Eco-village, Cloughjordan, Co Tipperary
- A delicious vegetarian lunch made with organic, fresh, local ingredients will be provided on the day.
- A selection of organic breads you have baked yourself to bring home with you.
- Organic/Fair Trade tea and coffee served throughout the day.
- Fresh, organic sourdough starter to bring home with you.
Pre Course Material:
Please note, when you have registered for this course, the trainers will be sending you pre-course material approximately 3 weeks before the course.
At Riot Rye, they practise lifelong learning and encourage people attending this beginner courses to make their own rye sourdough starter a week prior to the courses. This gets you thinking about sourdough and gives you a feel for what sourdough is and how it works.
If you don’t have the time, don’t worry! They have plenty of sourdough starter there that you can bake with.
We would advice you to check out their website https://www.riotrye.ie/common-loaf/# which has some recipes and videos with instructions.