Practical Skills course for 5 days for teaching how to carry out Artificial Insemination on cows.
- Anatomy of the female reproductive tract and organs
- Explanation of the oestrus cycle, duration of oestrus, methods of heat detection and optimum time to inseminate
- Description of semen collection, processing and freezing
- Important factors in handling, storing and transport of semen
- Regulations controlling the practice of A.I. including record keeping
- Principles of sanitation and the prevention of spreading disease
- Practical sessions are held at an abattoir using live animals. These sessions include
- Rectal examination of the cow and recognition of the reproductive tract and organs by rectal palpation
- Passing an A.I. gun through the cervix into the uterus, with positioning checked by the Instructor
The abiility to reduce insemenation cost on farm by doing your own insemenation.
On successful completion of course, participants will be awarded a certificate